Thursday, July 10, 2008

Introductions

As this girl sits contemplating when the MIFF catalogue will come online, or whether or not I will have to actually buy a copy of The Age to find it, alongside wondering how it is possible that I am developing a wrinkle on my nose, it seems an appropriately time (between the cinematic and the shallow) to introduce myself to my will-be readers.

Im a 23 year old mademoiselle from Melbourne who somehow finds that her life revolves around screens. Partly the result of the character flaw of complete occularcentrism (or ooooh-shiny-syndrome-x) and the fact that apparently my definition of hedonism is to stay at university indulging this trait as long as possible. Hello, why yes that is MA in cinema that traps me indoors like a house cat.

As a result I watch alot of films, television and surrounding internet paraphenalia. To offset this constant consumption I thought it was about time to produce something from it. Something readable as opposed to my many academic titles that go underground, apparently to Sweden.

I always say that my favorite film is the spaghetti classic The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, because every inch of the three hour celluloid makes me grin. Sometimes I wonder if it is just that the Ennio Morricone's opening theme really just sets me up joyously for everything that follows. I also really enjoy the stylization of the titles. Listen loud:



But I wonder that, shamefully, if I haven't watched this gem in at least two years can it really be the one?

I really think that the Leone classic is slowly being eclipsed (though its hanging on for the love of the Clint-poncho) by the magnificent Agnes Varda's Cleo from 5 to 7. Cleo is one of those films that just speaks straight to my heart and the films own obsession with mirrors just doubles how much of myself that I see in Cleo. I had the chance to get really intimate with it while writing my honors thesis and is now a rainy Sunday morning type of classic: comforting, inspiring and lyrical.
The beauty and vulnerability of Corinne Marchand is, for me, what really anchors the film. Apart from the delicious Parisian outfits, she really captures me with her movement and a gaze of quite etherial longing - always reaching up, up, up.

Mirror, mirror on the wall... Varda's amazing depth of frame


A surprisingly acrobatic apartment and angelic protagonist.


Surely, Cleo as a singer with a beautiful white apartment filled with kittens, sets off some deep longing for my life (given that decorating my abode in less that minimal chic, singing along to anything with a melody and petting fluffy animals are my main hobbies).

xoxo - gala hallelujah





No comments:

Post a Comment